Red Photo Booths

Cheers, friends!
I actually don't have pictures of the red photo booths that are everywhere when you walk down the busy streets and are the classic icons of this beautiful city. The past few days of London have been go-go-go in the best way possible. I have been walking until my feet are killing me exploring the side streets, main walkways, crowded squares and navigating the usually jam-packed Underground or "Tube" stations. I don't have enough time or words to describe everything that I have done, seen and felt. However, I'll start with the 5 senses.

Taste: I have tried a hot steak and stout pie. I have sipped tea samples in Whittard's at Covent Garden. I have tried samples of traditional English biscuits. I have eaten lots of sandwiches as a cheap college student in an expensive city. I haven't mustered up the courage yet to try stewed tomatoes and beans for breakfast at the youth hostel.

Smell: I smell the almost constant smoke of tobacco as the practice of smoking is much more common in Europe than the States. I smell pungent aromas as my friends tell me to smell these tea leaves or this ground coffee. I smell cologne and perfume intermixed as we are jostled along in the hurrying Londoners in the Underground. 

Hearing: As I sit in Starbucks typing this, I hear the bells of St. Paul's Cathedral ringing out loud and clear. As I walk the streets, I hear a multitude of languages jangling in my ears. On the Tube, I hear nothing as the silent, stolid Londoners read the newspaper, look at their phones or simply stare straight ahead in silence. I hear the laughter and chattering of my friends as the 35 of us walk around commenting on differences and similarities in the culture around us.

Touch: I touch a copy of the Rosetta Stone tracing the hieroglyphics in the British Museum. I touch the iron wrought gates that adorn numerous houses. I touch and flip through the pages of first editions, new modern books and everything in-between. I touch the map of the Underground as we try to figure out how to get from Leceister Square to King's Cross. 

Sight: I see so much that my brain is overwhelmed with the stimulation. I see the shrine of Edward the Confessor. I see where Mary I and Queen Elizabeth I were buried. I see the stained glass windows of the oldest gothic church in England. I see Greek friezes depicting centaurs, chariots and various gods and goddesses. I see the Sutton Hoo burial exhibit in the British Museum. I see the writer's corner in Westminster Abbey where we recognize and exclaim over C.S. Lewis (newly memorialized), Chaucer, Austen, Dickens and many more. I have viewed the only surviving copy of Beowulf, Gutenberg's first printing of the Bible and original Beatles lyrics at the British Library.

Perhaps a few pictures will help to convey further thoughts and experiences.


Our youth hostel is 2 minutes away from St. Paul's Cathedral. Think Mary Poppins, the old bird woman feeding the birds on the steps of St. Paul's. The fact that every day we get to sit on its steps is awe-inspiring. Another place that evoked wonder in me was Westminster Abbey (pictured below) where hundreds of well-known people have been buried. The tomb of the unknown warrior surrounded in poppies reminds me of all those who have died in war. The room where the knights have their banners and crests above these intricately carved seats makes me think that I have returned to King Arthur's time. The coronation chair makes me marvel at how long the monarchy has reigned and how much it is still revered even by us Americans. To think that I have been standing and am walking over the graves of hundreds, thousands of famous people, kings, queens, writers, artists, politicians and more is staggering. Yet, I am reminded that this is a church still dedicated to the work of God as well as a tourist attraction. 


We spent hours one day wandering in and out of new and secondhand bookstores on Cecil Court and then Charing Cross Road. Shown below is one of my new friends reading Ogden Nash's humorous poetry aloud to us. I did buy 2 books out of the hundreds that I perused, both old and new. And believe me, if I had a LOT more money and space, I would have bought more! The temptation was incredibly strong. After we had read until our eyes were tired and our feet were sore, we ate dinner at the crypt of St. Martin-in-the-Fields. You think that walking over dead people is weird, try eating dinner on top of them! It was a very atmospherical experience to say the least.


Last night, the 6th, I saw my first play, The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie, the world's longest running play. If anybody wants to read the book, it's called Three Blind Mice but don't spoil the ending! I am a huge Agatha Christie fan so I was excited to see how they would portray a mystery onstage and it was very good. I knew the ending and I was still sitting on the edge of my seat with the suspense and tension.


Hopefully, I have been able to give you small bits of my greater adventure that I have been on. I don't know how to adequately take you with me on this journey but I want to try. I have a handful more pictures on my Facebook if anybody is interested. Thanks for reading my lengthy attempt at describing this dynamic city.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

::you can't go home again... right?::

::to a former lover::

::courage, dear heart::